An operating system (OS) manages the hardware and applications on any given computer system in your business. Regardless of whether the computer is a server or a desktop computer, it must have an operating system to make it work.
IT outsourcing companies such as AlphaScan are knowledgeable about the different types of business-friendly operating systems available. AlphaScan, a nationally recognised IT support provider, has more than a decade of experience providing excellent IT consulting services to small and medium-sized business. As such, AlphaScan has hands on experience with the many different business-centric operating systems and the expertise to help your company choose the best operating systems to meet your unique corporate needs.
At the most basic level, an OS is installed on a computer to control how it manages all applications, attached hardware devices such as monitors, printers, speakers, DVD drives, and USB devices. In addition, the OS will control how the computer communicates with other IT devices in your corporate IT environment and how it interfaces with the internet. In a corporate IT environment, there are typically two types of operating system platforms that matter: server and desktop.
Server operating systems are designed to manage, store, and distribute information throughout your company's IT environment. AlphaScan can help you choose the best operating systems for your email servers, backup servers, file servers, etc. With the experience of countless server installs and OS upgrades, AlphaScan has the knowledge your business needs access to when choosing the best OS to meet your corporate server OS needs. While your IT environment will have multiple servers that do different jobs, all of the servers will have operating systems that, in addition to their core functions, will focus on the following:
- Security- Because protection of data is important, regardless of whether it is in the form of an email, document, or spreadsheet, the best operating systems will include basic security features that guard all data from unauthorised access. AlphaScan can guide your company in choosing an OS that meets your specific security needs. (Of course, because you have other security programs installed on you network, OS security should be considered a bonus feature.)
- Application delivery- Regardless of a server's specific tasks (distribute email, provide networking services, create critical data backups, etc.), it will need a way to distribute applications to desktop computers and other servers. AlphaScan can help you identify your application delivery needs and help you choose the best OS to meet those needs.
Desktop operating systems are designed for end-users and focus on ease of navigation and use of applications. Most IT consulting providers have knowledge and experience with the variety of the different types of desktop operating systems available and can help your business select the best desktop OS to meet its needs. With the experience of helping countless clients select, install, and update multiple desktop operating systems, AlphaScan can help your company choose the best desktop OS to meet your unique corporate needs.
Typical desktop operating systems include the following features:
- Multimedia support- IT companies like AlphaScan understand how important it is that your business' desktop computers are able to support applications that are graphic rich and sound intensive. The best desktop operating systems will manage a desktop computer's resources to ensure that multimedia programs will work as intended.
- Peripheral device support- Because most desktop computers will have peripheral devices such as cameras, USB drives, speakers, etc., the best desktop operating systems will easily manage these devices with minimal input to users once permissions and preferences are set. AlphaScan understands that different companies need their desktop computers to work with different external devices and can recommend the best desktop operating systems for your company's unique needs.
- Application management- IT consulting companies realise that desktop users will often use more than one application open at a time. AlphaScan has the knowledge to identify your company's specific application usage patterns and can suggest the best operating systems for your business' desktop computers.
Upgrading operating systems for business success
Because IT is always advancing, more sophisticated operating systems are needed so that your business can use the newest hardware and run latest versions of applications. Upgrading your operating systems on servers and desktops will let your business do the following:
- Protect your IT environment from the external threats such as viruses, phishing, and network scanning.
- Patch your IT environment against newly discovered vulnerabilities.
- Access and use the newest hardware which requires faster processing power that can only be supported with newer operating systems.
- Gain the newest features which can improve productivity and enhance the overall user experience.